<snip>
The COPYGROUP statement has the same effect as the COPYGRP statement when
either the input or the output data set or both are partitioned format,
that is either
PDS or PDSEs. The function of a COPYGROUP statement differs from COPYGRP
only if both of the data sets are PDSs. COPYGROUP performs a full group
copy
operation when both data sets are PDSs. By contrast, a COPYGRP statement
with
two PDSs is the same as a COPY statement with those data sets.
</snip>

Am I mis-reading or is sentence 1 contradictory with sentence 2?

Doesn't "both of the data sets are PDSs" (the wording in sentence 2) fall
within "either the input or the output data set or both are partitioned
format, that is either PDS or PDSE" (the wording in sentence 1)?

No one will get any disagreement from me that having a command COPYGRP
that is different in any way than COPYGROUP is stupid.

<snip>
BAR DS 0D
    END BAR
</snip>
If the entry point offset for BAR had been non-zero, then you did not have
that case. If you did have that case, an alias of BAR would always have
been 0 because BAR is not an external entry point. The binder rule is
simple: if you have an alias for something that is not known externally to
the binder, the offset into the module that is used is 0.

<snip>
No one seems surprised or alarmed that IEBCOPY fails an operation but
still ends with RC=0 ?
</snip>
sounds strange, but I don't know the definition of RC=0 for IEBCOPY. Maybe
the definition of RC=0 is that the syntax was correct and you are expected
to look at messages for anything beyond that. That would be unexpected
certainly. For a service that is done asynchronously, that is not an
unreasonable definition of RC=0 "I successfully did the part of the
processing that I could do and for which I know the results before
returning to you". Of course that is not IEBCOPY...

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design