On Wed, 4 Mar 2020 09:33:56 -0500, Peter Relson wrote:
><snip>
>BAR DS 0D
>    END BAR
></snip>
>If the entry point offset for BAR had been non-zero, then you did not have
>that case. If you did have that case, an alias of BAR would always have
>been 0 because BAR is not an external entry point. The binder rule is
>simple: if you have an alias for something that is not known externally to
>the binder, the offset into the module that is used is 0.

Furthermore, the operand of END needn't be a symbol.  Any (simple?)
relocatable expression is allowed.

Regardless, I feel that INCLUDE -ATTR and copy utilities (with suitable
options) should replicate it.

In my case, I had generated the SYSLIN not with assembler but with
a compiler I maintained.  My intent had been to save 4 bytes of branch
around the header.

-- gil