On Tue, 3 Mar 2020 18:51:24 -0600, Dale R. Smith wrote:

>COPYGROUP
>The COPYGROUP statement has the same effect as the COPYGRP statement when
>either the input or the output data set or both are partitioned format, that
>is either
>PDS or PDSEs. The function of a COPYGROUP statement differs from COPYGRP
>only if both of the data sets are PDSs. COPYGROUP performs a full group copy
>operation when both data sets are PDSs. By contrast, a COPYGRP statement with
>two PDSs is the same as a COPY statement with those data sets.

I looked at a utilities manual for OS/390 2.10. COPYGRP is documented,
COPYGROUP is not.

<quote>
COPYGRP can be used to copy a data set when either the input data set or the
output data set, or both, are PDSE:
PDSE to PDSE
PDSE to PDS
PDS to PDSE
For unloading groups:
PDSE to PS
For loading groups:
PS to PDSE
If neither data set is a PDSE, the request is treated the as a COPY operation
subject to the syntax requirements of COPYGRP.
</quote>

That was true the case up to the z/OS 1.13 edition of the manual.
Apparently COPYGROUP was added with z/OS 2.2.

Under "Copying Program Objects (COPYGRP and COPYGROUP Statements),
The V2 editions of the manual have this:

<quote>
COPYGRP can be used to copy a data set when either the input data set or the
output data set, or both, are PDSE:

    PDSE to PDSE
    PDSE to PDS
    PDS to PDSE

COPYGROUP can be used to copy a data set when either the input data set or the
output data set, or both, are PDS or PDSE:

    PDSE to PDSE
    PDSE to PDS
    PDS to PDSE
    PDS to PDS