This is not a Flex issue, PWD members are currently running z/VM Version 5 under Flex. The software is not the problem, this is a licensing problem. IBM will not license z/VM Version 5 for Flex customers. You need to contact IBM. Once this is resolved a great many customers will be very happy.

This will soon affect the VSE crowd as well. Although z/VSE currently supports pre-z hardware, it is inevitable that z/VSE will be zSeries only.

Dave Jones wrote:
Hi, Nob.

Since you can not order z/VM 4.x any longer from IBM, I would suggest that you contact FLEX and see if you can not work out some sort of agreement that would let you run z/VM 5.x on your FLEX-ES system. To the best of my knowledge there is no technical reason why z/VM 5.1 would not run, unless it has something to do with FLEX's support of VM in a 64 bit environment.

Good luck in any case.

DJ

namueller wrote:
I have to install a new application, which is only supported under z/VM
4 or z/VM 5, on a FLEX-ES box. Today we are using VM/ESA 2.4.

Now i can't order z/VM 4 because this Version was withdrawn from markt
at end of march 2006.

z/VM 5 is not allowed for using on a FLEX-ES box.

Any idea is very much appreciated.

Nob.

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2007 - Green Bay, WI - May 18-22, 2007