On Thursday, 04/13/2006 at 12:44 MST, namueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have to install a new application, which is only supported under z/VM
> 4 or z/VM 5, on a FLEX-ES box. Today we are using VM/ESA 2.4.
>
> Now i can't order z/VM 4 because this Version was withdrawn from markt
> at end of march 2006.
>
> z/VM 5 is not allowed for using on a FLEX-ES box.
>
> Any idea is very much appreciated.

It's not that z/VM V5 is "not allowed" on a FLEX-ES box, but rather that
z/VM V5 requires z/Architecture, which you do not have.  It really does
use z/Architecture instructions and facilities that are not present in
S/390..it's not an artificial requirement.

And before anyone suggests that you run FLEX-ES in z/Architecture mode
(oops! too late!), neither Fundamental Software (the makers of FLEX-ES)
nor your IBM Business Partner are empowered to fix this for you.  Only
software vendors who are a member of IBM PartnerWorld can get FLEX-ES
licenses for z/Architecture.  This is an IBM-imposed restriction.

Back in July of 2005 we announced that "z/VM V4.4 will continue to be
available after the availability of z/VM V5.2. z/VM V4.4 will not be
withdrawn from marketing at this time and will continue to be supported
until September 30, 2006."  Then, on December 6, we announced the
withdrawal of z/VM 4.4.

Unfortuantely, I have no alternatives to offer.   (Unless you'd like to
install a small z890?  ;-) )