Never ran into that with a 3088, but I certainly did back with a 3705. We ended up having that Ctrlr on a channel switch which we had to disable when booting. Early during an HPO release (4.somethng IIRC), we even saw it interfere with a CP IPL until we worked with a Standalone Dump and Level II for a PTF.

Jim Bohnsack wrote:
Another "gotcha" that I discovered about 20 years ago on a system that had a 3088 connected to it, is that some other types of equipment, in this case, 3088's can confuse a SA program into thinking that it is getting 3270 attn interrupts. I was not, very dependable, able to ipl a SA tape unless I would first disable the channel adapter on the 3088. I don't know what other kind of equipment can generate fake 3270 interrupts. Maybe nothing, but it can be frustrating if you are pretty sure that you're ipled a real program from the tape, but the program thinks that the interrupt it got is from the address it wants to talk to and it's something out on the machine room floor.