On Friday, 06/16/2006 at 09:46 AST, George Haddad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Our 2003-205 can be IMLed to do Dynamic I/O. We never did implement that
> feature --- we just never made many I/O changes over the yrs -- so I
> don't know if that negates the need for an inital IOCDS load or not.

No, it doesn't.  To IPL CP you have to IPL *something*.  That *something*
must be in the active I/O configuration.  You need a tape drive and enough
dasd volumes to restore a basic VM system, plus a console.

This is the nice thing about having an emergency 1-pack micro-system.
Sysres, paging, spooling, a directory, OPERATOR and MAINT, DDR, IOCP, all
on one volume, with the console pointing to the integrated console (on
modern machines, integrated 3270).  Or, also on modern machines, the
ability to IPL the z/VM DVD.

IF you authorized the LPAR to perform dynamic I/O operations and you have
dynamic I/O enabled in VM, then CP, once up, can start to add chpids,
control units, and devices to the I/O config.