Colin--It's been 7-8 years since I put in a plain NJE connection between an MVS and a VM system. We had had SNANJE connections for a long time, but for performance reasons, wanted to add an additional NJE link, leaving the SNANJE link in place. I don't remember any special gyrations I had to go thru and certainly saw no problems. In reviewing the PARM statement in the RSCS manual, it looks like you need to be careful about having matching numbers of STREAMS on both ends.

As an aside, there is a tremendous improvement in performance in an NJE link compared to SNANJE. If memory serves me right, we were seeing an improvement on the order of 5-10 times, so you will gain not only in budget savings, but also in performance.
Jim