Colin,

We've been using basic ESCON CTC NJE links between our VM and MVS systems
for at least a decade.  We do run two streams but I can't tell you
specifically why.  We don't have any of the problems you described.

However, I'm including our RSCS and JES2 definitions in the hope they might
help you.  The VM system is V037 and the MVS system is USMUO002.

RSCS
LINK USMUO002 NJE     7040  0 *     16   *     *  *        *        NOAST
NORET
PARM USMUO002 STREAMS=2 TA=1

JES2
NODE(7) COMPACT=0,
         NAME=V037,
         AUTH=(DEVICE=NO,
           JOB=NO,
           SYSTEM=NO,
           NET=NO),
         LINE=40,
         LOGMODE=,
         PATHMGR=NO,
         PRIVATE=NO,
         REST=300,
         TRACE=NO,
         TRANSMIT=BOTH,
         RECEIVE=BOTH,
         HOLD=NONE,
         PENCRYPT=NO

LINE(40) UNIT=7000,TRANSPAR=YES

Hope this helps.

Dennis

             "Colin Allinson"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             us.com>                                                    To
             Sent by: "The IBM         IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  RSCS NJE link to MVS over Basic CTC
                                       (Non-SNA)

             06/30/2006 06:35
             AM

             Please respond to
               "The IBM z/VM
             Operating System"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

I am not sure if anyone can give me any advice on this.

Between our VM systems we use TCPNJE for RSCS links. This leaves us with
only a few links to MVS using SNANJE. (Our MVS people expect to have TCPNJE
support installed in Q1/Q2 next year).

All terminal traffic to VM is now migrated to TCPIP so VM/VTAM is a
**VERY** expensive product for just these few remaining links to MVS.

As an interim measure for the next year we have defined some ESCON CTC
links (BCTC) between MVS & VM & are trying to get non-SNA NJE links
working.

The link is defined and connects successfully. I can also route traffic
over it successfully. However we do see a small but increasing error count
on the link.

The problem comes when I close the SNA link so that all the traffic goes
over the NJE line in both directions. After a while we get DMTNTR930E
message (reason code 0000) denying the request to start stream 1 and a file
sits blocking the link until action is taken.

Buffer sizes on both sides are the same (but a bit small at 520). It will
take some weeks to get a JES restart on the MVS side to change this.

Is there anything I can do (or any parameters I can change) to make this
more reliable - or is it just the nature of the beast?

Colin Allinson
Amadeus Data Processing