On Friday, 07/21/2006 at 11:24 AST, "Edward M. Martin"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> Unfortunately the paging volumes are on the 430RES and 430W03
> used by lots.
>
> I understand that this is a CP message, but wouldn't the
> Standalone program driving the system be doing the page request?

If you IPL a standalone program in an LPAR, then there is no need for this
page request.  It only occurs when you IPL something (anything) in a
guest.  CP cannot send a real IPL request to the device; so he has to
simulate it.  A hardware IPL doesn't have that problem.

> And if it is asking the wrong page requirement request(s) would
> that not cause the HCP message?
>
> And wouldn't the ICKDSF standalone get the same messages?

No, and no.  The error indicates that CP got an I/O error of some sort. If
you suspect the device is failing, running EREP and looking at the report
should confirm it.  Of course, if EMC has already told you the device is
having problems, then I'd believe them.

When you get a chance, move your paging and spooling areas to dedicated
volumes without minidisks on them.