Well, trying it like this made no difference:

obeyfile stopit tcpip a ( read tcp tcpip
VM TCP/IP Obeyfile
Requesting TCPIP to accept 'STOPIT TCPIP *' on MAINT 191  ...
TCPIP says: Minidisk not available

An interesting sidelight.  This message is routed to the OP1 PROP userid:

HCPJRL145I USER TCPIP AT NONE ISSUED A LINK COMMAND WITH AN INVALID PASSWORD 007 TIMES. THE LIMIT IS 005.

We have no ESM. I wasn't aware that native CP kept track of the number of invalid link requests. Does he do anything with that count in the absence of an ESM (other than putting it in this message)?

(Yes, the password is "read", and yes, I've verified that it works for link commands issued from userids who don't have LNKNOPASS.)

    - Tom.