Has anyone ever TELNET'ed to the port on a 2074 used for 3270 sessions?

(Yes, I know it's not supported.)

The other day someone used the TELNET command from a command line prompt

to attempt to connect to our 2074.  Almost immediately, all the emulator

sessions to the 2074 (regardless of what LPAR they were in session with)

either disconnected or got agonizingly slow for a couple minutes and then

disconnected.

Assuming that TELNET was indeed the cause, this is a major exposure.

Obviously, no LUNAME was passed by TELNET to the 2074.  I couldn't find i
any of the 2074 manuals how the 2074 might react to TELNET.  I suspect,

but can't prove, that this somehow caused a traffic spike somewhere in

network.  Sessions couldn't be re-established until we powered off/on the

2074.  (IMLing the 2074 channel adapter didn't help.)

Prior to the TELNET incident we've been experiencing intermittent dropped

2074 emulator sessions, which I also believe is a network related problem

(as alluded to in the 2074 Common Questions chapter).  The TELNET was
related to attempts to disgnose the dropped 3270 sessions problem.

Brian Nielsen