On Friday, 10/06/2006 at 01:05 EST, Brian Nielsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> According to the "2074 Console Support Controller Configurator Guide",
> Chapter 4, section "3270 Client support":
> "The 2074 only supports TCP/IP attached clients which are running a
> Telnet TN3270E emulator program"
>
> Since the TELNET command is not a TN3270E emulator program it's not a
> supported connection method to the 2074.  If that's incorrect please let
> me know.

Well, sure, it's true that it will want to negotiate a TN3270E session,
but that doesn't mean it is supposed to malf if your telnet client (for
any reason) refuses to go along.

It may be that it is too aggressive and isn't ending negotiations
properly, but is going into a WILL/WONT/DO/DONT loop.  When combined with
a telnet client suffering the same form of dementia, an infinite loop is
quite possible, chewing up all sorts of CPU.  Who knows.  Use ethereal or
whatever on your PC to see if this is the case.

> >> The other day someone used the TELNET command from a command line
prompt
> >> to attempt to connect to our 2074.  Almost immediately, all the
emulator
> >> sessions to the 2074 (regardless of what LPAR they were in session
with)
> >> either disconnected or got agonizingly slow for a couple minutes and
> >then
> >> disconnected.

BTW, issuing the telnet command from a command line prompt does not
necessarily limit it to linemode.  The CMS TELNET command is a
TN3270-capable command line client.