Title: RE: Question re: Hercules

But what good is PLX source if the PLX compileir is a national secret?

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU]On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 3:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Question re: Hercules

On Friday, 10/06/2006 at 12:50 EST, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think the fact that the original OS/360 and VM/370 were, like Linux,
> "open source" with a lot of community involvement in their development.
> Something that the z/... operating systems lack. I understand why, from
> IBM's viewpoint, but I wish it were not so. "Just say NO! to OCO" <grin>

Old song.  :-)

After all these decades, z/VM still ships the source for nearly all of its
modules.  Only those modules that protect IBM intellectual property (sw &
hw), along with a small number of modules whose source is not controlled
by us and whose owners insist on it, are OCO.

If we were "just" a software company, I think things would be a little
different, but we package our software to protect both itself *and* the
hardware.

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com