The problem one is having without a 3270 console is that SAPLdoesn't support SYSC, it needs a 3270.  Without a 3270 it is impossible to enter IPL overrides (such as IPLing with the previous version of SYSTEM CONFIG).
 A partial solution would be to have several IPL devices, each with their own IPL defaults, to use in case the normal resident has a bad CP nucleus or SYSTEM CONFIG.

Kris,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

"Romanowski, John (OFT)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

2006-10-26 14:33

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc
Subject
Re: IPL Help for old 9672 with VM/ESA 2.4

You can IPL VM2.4 to the SYSTEM_CONSOLE instead of a 3270 console.
Your SYSTEM_CONSOLE is the HMC's System Messages window ( a sort of

line-mode/tty interface, not full-screen 3270).

At anytime you can force the VM IPL to the SYSTEM_CONSOLE by typing SYSC
in the LOADPARM field of the HMC LOAD window when you trigger the VM
IPL. That overrides your Operator_consoles list.

In SYSTEM CONFIG, Operator_Consoles put SYSTEM_CONSOLE first and you'll
default to IPL-ing to the HMC System Messages window; won't need a 3174
or 3274, but have that limited interface initially.

You could also leave your Operator_consoles statement as-is with
SYSTEM_CONSOLE last; then if VM doesn't find any working 3270's in the
console list it'll use the HMC window.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the e-mail from your system.