>One major caution: be sure the volume you're doing this on is in the
>Offline_at_IPL in your production SYSTEM CONFIG; you don't want this
>directory "accidentally" coming online if something happens to the
>production volume that contains your normal CP directory.

Sorry to disagree: CP will never use a directory found on a volume that is
not CP-owned.  CP doesn't even read the allocation map of volumes that are
not CP-owned.

So I'd change this caution: the volume of the 1-pack system should *not*
be in the CP-owned list of the "normal" VM system.  Otherwise:
- the normal VM would use the spool space on that pack too
- the DRCT area could indeed get used.

The volume of the 1-pack system should be unique too.  This way you can
even mount it in the production system to maintain the 1-pack VM system In
your production system, define a user SOS with minidisks describing the
1-pack system and yiu can us LINK and DDR to fill it up.  Something like:
 USER SOS
 MDISK 123 3390 1 END VM1PCK
 MDISK CF1 3390 nn yy VM1PCK
 MDISK 190  3390 mm xx VM1PCK