On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:03 PM, Phil Smith III wrote:

I was tinkering with POPPER and can't get it to build -- well, it builds, but won't run, even when built with the old text decks, or with new ones generated with CC. Comparing the old & new MODULEs shows that they look similar but the old one (circa 1999!) is shorter, presumably due to older LE TXTLIBs.

So the question is: has anyone tinkered with it lately? The change I was making (verified by using Pipes to change a copy of the existing MODULE) is to change the message when a client tries to login and the mailbox is already in use. In such an instance, the current POPPER sends back:
 -ERR Duplicate Session for <user>.

The problem with this, for those of us who both use Outlook and POP our mail on multiple machines, is that Outlook takes this response to be a "password failed" response, and puts the password prompt back up. Some experimentation with another POP server shows that it returns: -ERR [IN-USE] account is locked by another session or for maintenance, try again in the same case. While that string was too long to fit in the existing MODULE, the "[IN-USE]" turns out to be (apparently) the key: with that in there, Outlook now reports the error and continues on happily.

Any LE experts out there?

I'm going to suggest something really gross.

Fire up an editor.

Edit the binary.

Find the string "ERR Duplicate"

Change this to "ERR [IN-USE]te"