VM wasn't designed with the idea that VDISK pages are merely inactive pag
es. Linux wasn't around
on the mainframe when VDISK was invented. VDISK was design as a fast disk
 in memory, not
specifically as a swap space.

Mostly VM uses LRU algorithms -- the VDISK page is NEW to VM when it is f
irst written, so it will
be retained longer than unchanged pages in the Linux virtual machine. As
others have pointed
out, the actual algorithms are more complicated than LRU -- and they tend
 to favor keeping VDISK
pages in memory even longer.

What I remember reading, but have not tried, is the suggestion that you h
ave multiple levels of
swap space, a small VDISK and larger minidisks to back it up. That might
help in this case.

alan(dot)ackerman(at)Bank of America(dot)com