I'm hoping that there is a fix for this, because a known fix, is easier
to fix then changing our network <G>.

I have two LPARs,

LPAR0, is the 390 side.
z/VM 5.1 IP address 205.235.227.74
Runs mostly VSE guests, IP address 192.168.99.xxx
OSA ports 2000 - 2005

LPAR1, is the IFL side.
z/VM 5.1 IP address is 192.168.193.3 (this is a supernet
192.168.192/22)
Runs mostly zLinux guests, IP address 192.168.193.xxx
OSA ports 2010-2015

Both LPARs are using vswitch.

Instead of installing z/VM 5.2 in another LPAR, I installed it, second
level, under LPAR0.
VMTEST on the 390 side
z/VM 5.2 IP address 192.168.194.4  (note that this address is covered
by the supernet, but LPAR1 isn't using this Class C network).
OSA ports 2016-2018.

Note all addresses are on the same OSA card, and the same port on the
card.  If the network types are doing any routing for me, everything
should be getting to the same, physical cable.  So I'm hoping that any
routing problems can be solved on my side.

I can ping myself 192.168.194.4.
I cannot ping 192.168.194.1, 205.235.227.41, 205.235.227.74,
192.168.3.21 (my PC).
And it doesn't seem that anyone can ping me (192.168.194.4).

netstat home
VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520

IPv4 Home address entries:

Address         Subnet Mask      Link
-------         -----------      ------
192.168.194.4   255.255.255.0    QDIO1

IPv6 Home address entries: None

Ready; T=0.02/0.04 11:14:00
netstat gate

VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520

Known IPv4 gateways:

Subnet Address  Subnet Mask      FirstHop        Flgs PktSz Metric Link

--------------  -----------      --------        ---- ----- ------
------
Default         <none>           205.235.227.41  UGS  1500  <none>
QDIO1
192.168.194.0   255.255.255.0    <direct>        UT   1500  <none>
QDIO1
205.235.227.0   255.255.255.0    <direct>        US   1500  <none>
QDIO1

Known IPv6 gateways: None

Ready; T=0.02/0.04 11:14:16

netstat dev

VM TCP/IP Netstat Level 520

Device [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Type: OSD            Status: Ready

  Queue size: 0     CPU: 0     Address: 2016        Port name:
UNASSIGNED
  IPv4 Router Type: NonRouter  Arp Query Support: Yes

    Link QDIO1                 Type: QDIOETHERNET   Net number: 0

      BytesIn: 0               BytesOut: 308

      Forwarding: Enabled      MTU: 1500            IPv6: Disabled

      Broadcast Capability: Yes

      Multicast Capability: Yes

      Group                                   Members

      -----                                   -------

      224.0.0.1                                  1

Ready; T=0.02/0.03 11:14:31

The config file:

;

DEVICE [EMAIL PROTECTED]  OSD 2016

LINK QDIO1 QDIOETHERNET [EMAIL PROTECTED]  MTU 1500

; (End DEVICE and LINK statements)

;

;

HOME

192.168.194.4   255.255.255.000 QDIO1

; (End HOME Address information)

;

GATEWAY

; Network       Subnet          First           Link             MTU

; Address       Mask            Hop             Name             Size

; ------------- --------------- --------------- ---------------- -----

205.235.227     255.255.255.0   =               QDIO1            1500

DEFAULTNET                      205.235.227.41  QDIO1            1500

; (End GATEWAY Static Routing information)

;

START [EMAIL PROTECTED]

; (End START statements)

;

I thought that LPAR1, with the supernet, might be interferring with my
using part if it's network.  So last night I took LPAR1 down and IPL'ed
z/VM 5.2 in LPAR1.  I got the same problems.

I'm not using vswitch, but vswitch came up by default with addresses on
another port of the same card:

q osa

OSA  2016 ATTACHED TO TCPIP    2016 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 11 OSD

OSA  2017 ATTACHED TO TCPIP    2017 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 11 OSD

OSA  2018 ATTACHED TO TCPIP    2018 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 11 OSD

OSA  2200 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  2200 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 31 OSD

OSA  2201 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  2201 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 31 OSD

OSA  2202 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW1  2202 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID 31 OSD

So, in all of this, my attempt was, that the VMTEST machine, wasn't
going to depend of any 1st level VM services, such as connecting to the
first level vswitch.    I wanted to be in a position that when I'm ready
to go live with z/VM 5.2, I just IPL that system in the LPAR.  We would
use a different set of OSA addresses, no problem.  The object was to try
to as complete testing as possible while under 2nd level and have the
minimum number of changes when we go production.

Apparently the CONFIG file for z/VM 5.2 has sufficient number of
changes, that I can't just take the CONFIG file from the z/VM 5.1
system, and run it when we go production.

Most of my CONFIG file was generated by IPWIZARD, but IPWIZARD couldn't
handle a supernet.  It has been problem reported.  But it never produced
a good CONFIG file that worked.  Which means this problem might not be a
TCPIP problem, but rather a CP problem?  A hardware problem?  A network
problem?

I'm out of things to try.

Thanks

Tom Duerbusch