On Dec 19, 2006, at 2:23 PM, Shimon Lebowitz wrote:

Quoting David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

We used to say that it was a good idea to run the cache-only resolver that comes with VM TCP/IP (i.e. NAMED) to avoid excessive DNS lookups
going outside VM. Some installations also used it to prime the cache
with a set of important host names (in case the outboard DNS was not
available). But the VM DNS implementation has become a bit dated, so
if you can you should probably avoid that route.

Or replace it with a minimal Linux guest.

How will that help?

If the DNS didn't work using the servers in our LAN,
why would it work better talking to a linux guest?

Because the Linux bind9 implementation is a modern implementation of DNS. Yes, for it to be a useful caching server it's still going to have to be able to talk to some other network servers.

And I would get the extra fun of building a linux
DNS server instead of just forwarding all requests
to the windows boxes?

The idea would be that *you* wouldn't have to do it. Just another virtual machine that you power on and something is providing name service to things on the VM host.

Adam