Quoting Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Tuesday, 12/19/2006 at 07:59 ZE2, Shimon Lebowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > <confused>
> > I don't think I understand what you are saying. I put
> > the altered version of TCPIP DATA on TCPIP2's (my test stack
> > userid) so that the stack would see the DNS lines, doesn't
> > PING run in the TCPIP2 user itself? The 191 is accessed
> > ahead of 592, so doesn't TCPIP2 know about the DNS?
> > </confused>
>
> No, PING does not run in the stack.  There is a low-level ICMP ECHO (ping)
> function in the stack that is invoked by the PING program, but that
> interface expects an IP address as input.  DNS resolution is always done
> in the client virtual machine.

OK, I have that straightened out in my mind now. :-)
Thanks to all who helped with that.

So, PING is a program that runs in *my* virtual machine.
And my machine is linked to 592 in order to see the
PING MODULE.

And 592 has the production version of TCPIP DATA,
with no NSINTERADDR records.

> It's far easier if you just point your NSINTERADDR entries to your
> "normal" DNS servers.  Then, whatever the DNS problem du jour is, it isn't
> your fault.  :-)

So, I need to access the updated DATA file
in MY virtual machine, so that PING will
know where to do DNS.

I will try all this tomorrow.

THANKS!!!!

Shimon