On 12/20/06, Shimon Lebowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The only other thing I needed to fix was
an incorrect DOMAINORIGIN statement, our network
uses something weird. But having the wrong
value *does* prevent me from pinging things.

The DNS lookup is only for fully qualified names like www.vm.ibm.com.
If you give the resolver a hostname only (a single qualifier with no
dots in it) the domain origin is appended to get a fully qualified
name that can be looked up. An incorrect domain origin would give
wrong names that cannot be looked up.

Many large installations run their own DNS servers behind the firewall
to let middle tiers resolve internal addresses. It's a good thing for
such servers not to use external DNS because your application could be
affected by tampering with that outside DNS. While it is possible to
have such a DNS also resolve the address of hosts outside the
firewall, some people sleep better by keeping it inside. You have to
be aware what you want to resolve and which DNS to talk to. There may
not be one that fits both needs.

Rob