In my low memory tests of SUSE, it would run fine in 12 MBs and no
swapping, that is, until you want to do something (like YaST).  joe
works.  kate works.

The biggest difference I've seen in the low memory linux images, is
method of communication.

IUCV and VCTCA, works well in 12 MB.
OSA and Hipersockets, 48 MB.

Now back on tangent to the origional discussion...

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/20/2006 8:40 AM >>>
> > bind is, these days, anything but minimal.
> We should port OpenBSD to the 390. You could probably run OpenBSD +
bind
> in a 12MB VM.

You can run Linux in a 12Mb VM just fine -- we do 16 and 32M Debian
guests all the time. You just can't run *SuSE or RH as distributed* in
that little memory. Different compile option choices, and different
decisions on what is "necessary".

With a LOT of paring down, you can reduce SuSE or RH to something that
will run in a 32M machine. It doesn't look much like the original,
though.

-- db