On 12/20/06, Jack Woehr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> bind is, these days, anything but minimal.
We should port OpenBSD to the 390. You could probably run OpenBSD + bind
in a 12MB VM.

So on what measurements would you base such a claim?  And what does it
compare to with Linux on zSeries? I suppose we're talking about
resident working set, not virtual machine size?

My 64-bit (!) Linux virtual machine with bind and snmp in it (you have
to measure it) uses 17 MB right now. Since the VM system is not tight
on memory we cannot tell what part of that would really be needed to
run. Probably less than half.
And if we throw in shared kernel and libraries in DCSS, we probably
can do with 1-2 MB.
For comparison: apache is not minimal either but I ran 100 of them in
a 128 MB z/VM system (and be limited by CPU rather than memory).

Rob