Yeah ... we need an SSH client too.  (We have a sort-of server,  but
that's another story.)

I tried to build OpenSSL and then OpenSSH on z/OS (USS),  but could not
get the  ./configure  step to behave.  In particular,  both scripts get
wedged on a shell file descriptor.  (Other packages which follow the
standard recipe build pretty well on USS.)  Given this wonderful  "cradle"
 (I think it's an LE thing),  you can take binaries from USS and run them
on OpenVM without additional work.  Very nice!   ...   if they'll just
build in the first place.

The single biggest challenge on OpenVM  (compared to USS)  is how it
handles  fork().  Long story.  Not for now.

We have the z/OS OpenSSH package  (in its SMP/E wrapper).  SSH to/from
z/OS works just fine.  I find that the  'ssh'  executable from that runs
directly on OpenVM,  but fails when it tries to generate  (or collect?)
entropy or some other step in the encryption game.  To be specific,  if
you enter

ssh

it gives you the help,  but if you enter

ssh  remotehost

it ABENDs.  I tried replacing the support program that I thought SSH was
after with something that  did not  ABEND.  Didn't help.  That was some
time back.

-- R;

Brian Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

02/01/2007 12:24 PM
Please respond to The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

From
Brian Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Open SSH on VM

Folks,

Anybody out there done the port of OPEN-SSH to VM's OE envirornment?

Brian Ferguson
EDS VM Capability