From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Anne Crabtree
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:34 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: backup prior to maintenance

I would be applying on a first level system.  I have no idea what minidisks
are affected.  I've only done maintenance twice, once the long way (with IBM
here and it was no picnic) and the second time where it was a complete mess.
Can I use DDRXA and just backup 510RES and 510SPL?  Will that be good
enough?  If there are problems, can I restore both and be ok?  Sorry, I
guess I wasn't clear enough!

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/8/2007 11:23 AM >>>
If you are running a second-level guest to do your maintenance in, then t=
he
best way is to shutdown the SECOND-LEVEL guest and dump it using DDR from=

the first level MAINT userid. Then bring up your second-level guest, appl=
and test the maintenance (shutting down and restoring as necessary). Then=

migrate the good maintenance to your first-level production system.

If you are applying your maintenance to minidisks on a first-level system=
,
then you need to backup the individual minidisks used in the maintenance
process. Then if something goes wrong in your VMSES processing, you can
restore the affected minidisks. This will keep you from stomping on SPOOL=
 or
user minidisks.

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:10:50 -0500, Anne Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
wrote:
>I would like to know what the recommended procedure is for backing up th=
system prior to applying maintenance (and how to restore if there is a
problem!!).  The last time I did maintenance, I backed up 510RES with DDR=
XA
and when PUT2PROD had errors, restored 510RES from that tape.  To make a
long story short, it really messed up the spool and I ended up on the pho=
ne
for hours with IBM.  I need to put maintenance on again and want to make
sure and do it right this time.

<< ella for Spam Control >> has removed VSE-List messages and set aside
VM-List for me
You can use it too - and it's FREE!  http://www.ellaforspam.com