Don't worry about the clarity of your postings, we all need to refine our

descriptions through repetition. Okay, you are running maintenance on
first-level and you do not have a CMS or minidisk level product to backup

your  allocations. Figuring out what minidisks VMSES will use for any
particular component is possible via the PPF and the user directory, but
is
too detailed for what you want to do. You want to run one quick process t
backup everything, then apply maintenance and if necessary run one proces
to restore everything.

We can't quite give you that yet. But Tom Huegel has it right. A two part

process, one part to backup your entire DASD subsystem (510RES, 510W01,
510W02, 510Wxx, etc). Do not backup the page or spool volumes with DDR. T
he
second part is to backup all of the SPOOL files using the SPXTAPE command
.
When you do have to restore back to this point-in-time, you can use DDR
standalone to restore the DASD, then IPL and do a CLEAN NOAUTOLOG start.
At
this point, you can be on OPERATOR, mount the tape containing your SPXTAP
backup and use SPXTAPE LOAD to restore all the files, and then shutdown
reipl to restart your restored system.

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:33:58 -0500, Anne Crabtree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>I would be applying on a first level system.  I have no idea what minidi
sks
are affected.  I've only done maintenance twice, once the long way (with
IBM
here and it was no picnic) and the second time where it was a complete me
ss.
>Can I use DDRXA and just backup 510RES and 510SPL?  Will that be good
enough?  If there are problems, can I restore both and be ok?  Sorry, I
guess I wasn't clear enough!