The only backups we do are full volume backups once a week on z/os, but I want
to go back to prior to maintenance if I have a problem.  So, gonna try to do
what Tom suggested.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 2/8/2007 12:04 PM >>>
Anne,

We do our maintenance on the first level system. We rely on our daily
backup process as our safety net. Since we keep backups for several
months, we can go back to any prior day's image. Because we don't do
maintenance every day, the MAINT disks are reasonably stable and this
type of backup is, we feel, sufficient.

Regards,
Richard Schuh

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of StephenPFrazieVM
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:44 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: backup prior to maintenance

Your first message was clear. The answer is still the same.

If you are applying your maintenance to minidisks on a first-level
system, then you need to backup
the individual minidisks used in the maintenance process. Then if
something goes wrong in your VMSES
processing, you can restore the affected minidisks. This will keep you
from stomping on SPOOL or
user minidisks.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I would be applying on a first level system.  I have no idea what
minidisks are affected.  I've only done maintenance twice, once the long
way (with IBM here and it was no picnic) and the second time where it
was a complete mess.
> Can I use DDRXA and just backup 510RES and 510SPL?  Will that be good
enough?  If there are problems, can I restore both and be ok?  Sorry, I
guess I wasn't clear enough!

> If you are running a second-level guest to do your maintenance in,
then t=
> he
> best way is to shutdown the SECOND-LEVEL guest and dump it using DDR
from=

> the first level MAINT userid. Then bring up your second-level guest,
appl=
> and test the maintenance (shutting down and restoring as necessary).
Then=

> migrate the good maintenance to your first-level production system.
>
> If you are applying your maintenance to minidisks on a first-level
system=
> ,
> then you need to backup the individual minidisks used in the
maintenance
> process. Then if something goes wrong in your VMSES processing, you
can
> restore the affected minidisks. This will keep you from stomping on
SPOOL=
>  or
> user minidisks.
>
> /Tom Kern
> /301-903-2211
>
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 11:10:50 -0500, Anne Crabtree
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =
> wrote:
>> I would like to know what the recommended procedure is for backing up
th=
> system prior to applying maintenance (and how to restore if there is a
> problem!!).  The last time I did maintenance, I backed up 510RES with
DDR=