> > I see two problems with this story - one is they
> > quoted Phil Payne, whose has some kind of vendetta
> > against IBM going. (I suspect he lost money in an
> > emulator solution) and two,
> His input is pretty small and pretty accurate. Even
> for us Mainframe Software costs are hefty...

I think I'd agree in this case. While Phil is often unnecessarily
caustic, the emperor's new clothes occasionally ARE invisible, and no
one else is willing to stand up and say it. Phil often serves that
function.

Even with the recent price drops for hardware and software, IBM *is*
pricing System z out of the low and midrange market (considering only
new equipment). With the loss of the Flex 64-bit capability for general
use, and now the loss of the emulated PSI solution (whether or not it
violates IBM patents I don't know), there's not a compelling solution
commercially available that competes with the more high-end Opteron and
Itanium commodity systems.

With HP providing VMS on Itanium, there's a serious alternative to z/OS
available and viable again, and one that provides a lot more MIPS for a
lot fewer dollars with few compromises in security (and a lot easier
manageability and serviceability. Any mouth-breather can manage VMS
semi-competently  -- generations of grad students have proven that over
and over. )If HP plays it's cards right, they could take a serious chunk
of the small z/OS and VSE markets away from both zSeries and iSeries,
without customers sacrificing security and/or reliability. VMS
clustering isn't parallel sysplex, but how many sites short of the
high-end *need* sysplex?

> > Itanium hardware is
> > faster and more modern than a mainframe PC, but ...
> > it is not running Itanium software, it is emulationg
> > the zSeries arch.
> How does this make it slower?

Another interesting argument. If the basic assumption is that the
emulated zArch performance is proportional to the underlying Itanium
performance, there's a lot of things that could be compelling here.
Certainly Hercules seems to do an awful lot in this area, and the
argument for Core Duos and Opterons seems to track Moore's Law closely.