> > > it is not running Itanium software, it is
> emulationg
> > > the zSeries arch.
> > How does this make it slower?
>
> Another interesting argument. If the basic
> assumption is that the
> emulated zArch performance is proportional to the
> underlying Itanium
> performance, there's a lot of things that could be
> compelling here.

Having not seen the CPU its hard to say what is going
on, but the PSI blurb implied that they were using
changed microcode and "Just-In-Time" tecniques to
speed up "emulation".

> Certainly Hercules seems to do an awful lot in this
> area, and the
> argument for Core Duos and Opterons seems to track
> Moore's Law closely.

I can't really judge. I understand the mainframe at
work (and I forget the model) is rated at about 70
mips. When emulating normal "370" mode, with Hercules,
running VM/370R6, I get about 28 mips out out of a
hyper-threaded 3ghz Pentium. I know its slower when
emulating 64 bit, but from this it seems that
Emulation could easily provide that level of
performace on a 4-core box. (either 2 x 2 core or 1 x
dual core).

http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail