On Wednesday, 03/07/2007 at 09:32 EST, "Bates, Bob [CCC-OT_IT]"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was fixing an exec with this just yesterday and ran into the same
problem. I
> thought I had an easy solution those months ago by altering 3390-0A to
3390-3
> and 3390-0C to 3390-9. Then the 3390-27's showed up and still got
translated as
> 3390-0C. Whoops.
>
> Ended up creating a table for each of the cyl counts to change to the
mod I
> wanted. Found another system that has all sorts of different sized
3390s. So,
> how to determine how to report dasd that isn't of standard sizes.
> How about something like 3390-S1 meaning it's smaller than a normal
mod-1?

Architecturally, the number of cylinders is orthogonal to the model
number.  It just so happens that our model 'n' has 'm' number of cylinders
on it.  The number of cylinders actually comes from the device itself.
(E.g. note minidisks have the device type of the underlying rdev, but have
fewer cyls.)