On Friday, 03/09/2007 at 09:14 CST, Brian Ferguson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> They have dumped the MVS volumes to tape using DFDSS.
>
> And are attempting to use a standalone version of DFDSS to place the
> volumes onto DASD attached to the VM image.

DFDSS is a z/OS utility and z/OS is not licensed to run on IFLs.  As
you've discovered, there is a reason we don't license z/OS to IFLs: it
won't run.  If you plan to restore an MVS system from VM, use DDR to back
it up.  DDR is designed to run on any type of CPU.

I can only speculate that standalone DFDSS detected a higher level of
hardware and wandered into the Void and was Lost, being sent to the
equivalent of Software Hell.  To find out whether this is true and/or
intentional, you'd have to open a PMR (start with DFDSS).

But I don't understand how restoring under VM and then IPLing MVS in
another LPAR or on another nearby CEC is any faster than restoring in the
LPAR and then IPLing the restored system in an LPAR.  They are serial
activities.