>No, I have not changed the messages. Those were consecutive messages in
>the console log. However, in looking at all occurrences, almost every 15
>minutes for 2 days, I found one that had a second message DMTTNE08E
>message following the one saying there was a socket error. It did have a
>return code of -1 and an error number of 60 with the text "Connection
>timed out".=20

Message DMT083E should be issued on two lines such as:

DMTTNE083E Socket error on link GDLVML00 request=Recv
DMTTNE083E return code=- 1 error number=54 (Connection reset by peer)

I cannot think of any parameter which would cause only line one to
come out.  Perhaps you should open a problem with the support center
and we will further investigate why the message is not coming out in
two lines.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development