On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:48:15 -0400, David Boyes wrote:

>> I am not having a problem at all with how things are done. I was just
>> curious about why the original developers made "DASD management" such
>> burden on the sysprog. Especially in the early days. But performance
>> could very well be the reason.
>
>1) Back then, there *wasn't* much DASD to manage. VM systems have
>historically been smaller and lighter, and been relatively resource-poor
>compared to their OS-based siblings. Consider the original purpose of VM
>was to be a *migration aid* from OS/360 to later releases; it wasn't
>intended to be a permanent thing (at least not until real customers got
>their hands on it) so there wouldn't have been a lot of "VM" disk to
>manage.

Was it?  I was taught by some of the people that worked at Lincoln Labs that VM
was a CE/SE training aid.  That is
why it was designed to so closely emulate a 360 Mod 50.  You could "break"
things and the CE/SE would learn how
to detect what was broken and how to fix it.

Lloyd
User of VM and its cousin VP/CSS since 1975.