On 3/16/07, Jeff Gribbin, EDS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

To allow complete virtualisation of minidisks of any size up to and
including full-pack. Virtualising a full-pack minidisk makes it
intrinsically impossible to save hypervisor-related information on the
physical pack that's being virtualised - there's nowhere to put it!

Indeed. But VM does not virtualize full-pack mini disks because we
share the volser and some more that is found from there. This is why
in general we do not hand out mini disks that start at cylinder 0,
including full pack mini disks. As the world is today, cylinder 0 is
something of the hypervisor. I don't see a problem in using that for
hypervisor things (like CSE tracks).

Remember - one is virtualising HARDWARE - so there's no scope
for, "agreement" with the (software running in the) guests to not use part
of the pack - at best this would lead to a less-than-complete
virtualisation.

I beg to differ slightly, SIr.  (warning, long post follows)

Virtualization is never perfect and differences will always shine
through at the edges (most obvious is low-level timing, but there is
more). The cost of virtualization (hardware, overhead) gets higher
with increased perfection.
The reason this still works is because we have an abstraction of the
real hardware, and the guest is such that it does not care about
details beyond the abstraction (some guests are better than others in
that aspect). It gets expensive to achieve a high perfection at low
level of abstraction. And unless one specifically cares about those
low level details, the guest is better off not to face the real world
(e.g. be isolated from hardware errors).

Also remember that we have a mix of server virtualization and resource
virtualization which blurs the picture.

The mini disk is an imperfect (but cheap) implementation of a low
level abstraction. The main "defect" is the number of cylinders, but
for many purposes the virtualization is good enough because the guest
can live with that.
But at considerable additional cost, VM could have been designed to
span a mini disk over multiple volumes. With such support, you could
give out more perfect 3390's (i.e. not being restricted by the actual
models on the hardware). And VM could have played tricks not to
allocate real disk space for unused tracks. This is exactly what was
done in the RAMAC Virtual Array.

All VM configuration is in-band in that it lives on VM itself. VM is
its own hostage. This is a good thing because that's what allows us to
run VM under VM, why you cannot run LPAR within LPAR.

Suppose IBM would come up with something on the HMC to maintain the CP
directory. An easy-to-use GUI application that talked to CP through
some new hack in the SCLP area. That would make it impossible to run
VM under VM unless also major parts of the HMC were virtualized
(unlikely, at best you would have an option to deal with multiple VM
images).

PS There's of course hierarchical directories (e.g. LDAP) that would
implicitly support such virtualization. I can see some way cool things
when a 2nd level VM system would inherit most of the host, except for
the parts that you made different.

Rob