David Kreuter wrote:
Really? Most IT grads (college, university, private) I come across (training, conferences, etc.) seem predominantly windows trained. Unix/linux dudes and dudettes (jeesh did I just say that? I'm just a kid at heart) seem to be engineering/physics graduates - a generally scary lot 'cause most of them are pretty smart and worse yet think they know everything. At least they sure can toss those acronyms around with the best of them. They have more in common with IBM (that most of them seem to dislike until they get a job) than they realize.

Maybe my view is skewed because at MSU, our CS department spawned from the College of Engineering. This is in stark contrast to my alma mater, Wayne State, where it CS was originally a branch of our Liberal Arts Mathematics dept.
I just don't see this onslaught of young men and women with this dynamite
unix/linux skill. At least not in North America. Maybe elsewhere. I'm ready to
classify this on most days as yet another urban legend, you know, like the mole
people that live seven levels below Grand Central station.

I have also encountered some real, and I mean real, sloppy practices in linux
with many of these youngsters.  Linux covers them pretty well until the fan
gets hit, and then watch out. Linux is prime time but a lot of the
technoweenies aren't ready for the big show.
Well yes, but I attribute this to the early Unix/C books which used very terse code samples. I figure that the students who learned from them thought that all code was SUPPOSED to be unreadable. And they've just passed along that wisdom to the next generations!