that has been posted to bit.listserv.vmesa-l,alt.folklore.computers as well.

Dave Wade wrote:
> I know there is no commercial value in it, so it won't
> happen, but wouldn't it be nice if IBM realeased a
> software emulation that worked like the original
> XT/370 that emulated both the Hardware and CP calls
> and so would allow CMS itself to be run native on
> Linux or Windows...
> .. oh and of course would license CMS for such
> an evironment.

XT/370 was codenamed washington ... stripped down CP kernel running on
modified 68k processor that provided 370 emulation (for problem and some
privileged instructions). The "370" had its own dedicate processor
memory. Running under dos was a program called "cp/88" and the CP kernel
would communicate with "cp/88" for emulation of I/O operations
(i.e. cp/88 provided real device i/o support and communicated back and
forth with the cp kernel).

the original model had 384k "370" memory ... and I did some application
studies which showed that after the fixed cp kernel memory requirements
...  that cms applications frequently would "page thrash" in the
remaining real memory. Exaserbating the problem was that all disk i/o
(both cp paging and cms file i/o) involved communication with cp/88
which would then simulate the operations on XT hard disk that had
110millisecond avg. access.

the publishing of the elapsed time & page thrashing results resulted in
a corporate decision to ship the product with 512k "370" memory
... which involved a six month schedule slip ... which lots of people
blaimed on me.

However, in this time window ... I was allowed to incorporate an
enhanced page replacement algorithm (over and above what i was able to
ship in the vm370 resource manager) ... and CMS "paging access method"
filesystem support ... i.e. page-mapped operation ...  which I had
originally done on cp67/cms ... but never shipped in standard vm370
release.

the problem was that normal CMS operations are highly disk intensive.
DCSS sharing of applications on mainframes were somewhat able to
compensate for some of this (by having programs & applications already
available in real storage because of use by other users).  However, in
the xt/370 configuration none of this was applicable ...  there wasn't
enuf real storage for such caching ... and since it was a single user
system ... there wasn't any "sharing" use. however, I had demonstrated
avg of 300percent (or better) thruput improvement with the paged mapped
cms filesystem support for disk intensive operations. The page mapped
CMS filesystem support also allowed for asyncronous operation on program
available real storage ... but also allowing some asyncronous overlap of
CMS application execution with loading of the program (keeping all the
asyncronous activity straight and hidden from cms by playing games with
page invalid/valid bits). The page mapped CMS filesystem support also
had some enhancements for attempting to do contiguous (physical)
allocation when MODULE was generated (and/or written to disk) ... which
could be subsequently leveraged when program was loaded.

the same adapter board was later made available in ATs and called
AT/370.

the "follow-on" was a full-blown 370 in separate box with 4mbytes
of memory code-name "a74" (for the department in POK) and released
as 7437 ... old email with announcement of 7437
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#email880622

old email that includes list of source update files that I had to the cp
kernel as part of A74 support ("dmkpam" is the source routine containing
the cp changes supporting paged mapped operation).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003f.html#56 ECPS:VM DISPx instructions

other past posts mentioning A74:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#55 Why not an IBM zSeries workstation?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#56 Why not an IBM zSeries workstation?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#19 Very CISC Instuctions (Was: why the
machine word size ...)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#51 DARPA was: Short Watson Biography
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002d.html#4 IBM Mainframe at home
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002l.html#27 End of Moore's law and how it can
influence job market
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003h.html#40 IBM system 370
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003m.html#15 IEFBR14 Problems
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004l.html#65 computer industry scenairo before the
invention of the PC?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#7 Whatever happened to IBM's VM PC
software?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#8 Whatever happened to IBM's VM PC
software?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004m.html#10 Whatever happened to IBM's VM PC
software?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007c.html#14 How many 36-bit Unix ports in the old
days?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#76 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?

old email mentioning some of the activity porting enhancements from
cp67 to vm370
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

misc. past posts mentioning some aspects of the resource manager
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#fairshare
and/or page replacement algorithms
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#wsclock
and other posts mentioning the paged mapped cms filesystem work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#mmap

and past posts mentioning washington, xt370, at370 and/or getting
blaimed for six month slip in scheduled to increase real storage
from 384k to 512k
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/94.html#42 bloat
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/96.html#23 Old IBM's
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000e.html#52 Why not an IBM zSeries workstation?