OK, I apologize for being so dumb about this but it's really confusing!

I am trying to set up a connection from 2nd level VM to first level VM
and was using the virtual CTC to do so.   The reason I am doing this is
so that I can try to start TCPIP on 2nd level which I have not done
yet.
Once TCPIP on 2nd level is running, I wanted to start a Linux guest.
On 2nd level TCPIP, I was going to define another vctc to connect to the
linux on second level.   All this is to verify that maintenance I put on
2nd Level VM will not affect Linux before moving that maintenance to
first level where there are productional linuxes running...

So now, I'm not exactly sure where I am in that process even after all
this advice.
I detached the vctc from an linux guest on first level that is not
being used.
I think it has been defined on 1st level to my second level VM
(VMTEST).
I just IPL'd VMTEST and issued the  CP SEND CP VMTEST DEF CTCA 2030
(and same for 2031)
If I query 2030 it says:  CTCA 2030 FREE
TCPIP is not running on 2nd level.  I've never even tried to start it
because I'm still trying to get verification from someone who knows
TCP/IP (although he doesn't know VM) that I coded the IP addresses for
2nd level correctly.  When you said :
CP SEND CP VMTEST COUPLE  2030 guest2 vaddr2
I have no idea what to put for guest2 or even if I need it!  And I
can't attach to TCPIP there since it's not even running yet.  I'm
assuming what I've done so far means 2nd level is attached to 1st level
though that virtual ctc but I wouldn't swear on it.

I'm sure you can see my confusion.

Anne D. Crabtree
System Programmer
WV Dept of Administration - OT
304-558-5914 ext 8885
Fax 304-558-1351

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 5/23/2007 8:07 AM >>>
So, this was a virtual CTC, not a real one.
As said in my other extra info post: you will need to handle virtual
things,
so use CP SEND
   CP SEND CP VMTEST DEF CTCA 2030
   CP SEND CP VMTEST DEF CTCA 2031
You also need a COUPLE command to virtually wire this virtual CTC to a
virtual CTC in the other guest.  Something like:
   CP SEND CP VMTEST COUPLE  2030 guest2 vaddr2
As I didn't follow this whole thread, I can't fill in the variables
above.

Then to CP in your VMTEST machine, this virtual CTC looks like a real
one,
so you ATTACH it to TCPIP there.  What means LOGON MAINT in VMTEST and
ATTACH 2030 TCPIP vaddr