On Wednesday, 05/23/2007 at 08:37 EST, RPN01 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The best advice is to draw a picture (or convert the one Kris is sending
you
> to your configuration). Label each connection as physical or virtual,
and
> with the commands needed to utilize it (ATTACH and DETACH for real
CTCAs,
> DEFINE, COUPLE and DETACH for virtual CTCAs, giving the destination for
> each). Each line should have text at both ends, because the commands are
> possibly different at each end; virtual addresses may be different (but
not
> necessarily so), and the name of the userid(s) involved will be
different.

> Also add to this diagram the TCP/IP addresses you expect each interface
> be seen as, and the mask to be used.
>
> Having a good picture, both in your mind and on paper, of what you're
doing
> will go a long way to understanding how to plumb it all up.

A PICTURE!  A PICTURE!  This brings joy to my heart and tears to my eyes.
And ... a ... (sob) .. picture with ..(sob).. LABELS!  Add the subnet mask
and MTU size and I could die today (the 1812 Overture finale builds)
knowing that Truth, Justice, and Network Diagrams, even for virtual
networks (begin canonnade), will live on; that future generations will
benefit from the hard lessons learned by those who don't draw pictures.
(Crecendo and fade....)

Amen.