We have success of sorts. The link can now recover from the socket
errors it experiences approximately every 20 minutes when it is not kept
busy. The MVS folks are questioning why these timeouts occur. I see the
same time-outs on a VM to VM link. The network people tell me that MVS
is getting a "getpeername" socket error.

Is this something that is normal? If not, how do I fix it?

FWIW, our two VM systems have the following RSCS parameters:

                ITO=100 (default meaning do not enforce an Inactive Time
Out interval)
                KEEPALIV=YES

The definitions in TCPIP are:

                KEEPALIVEOPTIONS
                  INTERVAL     20
                  SENDGARBAGE  TRUE
                ENDKEEPALIVEOPTIONS

I find nothing in either TCP/IP or RSCS that specifies a 20 minute
interval for anything.

Regards,
Richard Schuh