>> What is the difference between the NJE keepalive and the RSCS
>keepaliv=yes? We
>> have tried both =yes and =no to no effect. We have been running with
>keepalive
>> turned on for 48 hours. The same errors show up like clockwork when the
>link is
>> idle for an extended period.
>
>I'm not aware of any NJE-level keepalive.
>
>The time for speculation is past.  Gather your evidence and let it speak
>to you.  BE the CSI.
>
>What do the network (not host-created) packet traces show at both ends?
>Are the keepalives going through?  If you see TCP RSTs coming in that the
>other end didn't send, then the game's afoot and the challenge is, then,
>to locate the offender.
>
>For fun, I did a search and saw z/OS APAR PK16058: KEEPALIVE PACKETS NOT
>ARRIVING AT PARTNER SYSTEM, which tells me it is possible that keepalives
>are reaching z/OS, but not getting back to z/VM, and z/VM's own keepalive
>support is terminating the connection.

There is no TCPNJE keepalive architected interface.  Other NJE
architectures have defined a way to determine if the link is still
alive, but this was not included in the TCPNJE definition.
In addition, the RSCS keepalive= parm is not RSCS doing keepalive
activities, rather it turns on a bit in the socket to request TCP/IP
implement keepalive for the connection.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development