On Jul 11, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Alan Altmark wrote:
We are investigating the issues surrounding dump compression and
encryption for the VM environment.  It is my hope, though, that the
solution to these problems will be more generally useful.

Hunh.  A transparent passthrough compression/encryption facility.

Gee, that sounds like a good idea.

It also sounds *suspiciously similar* to an extant IBM z/VM component.

Admittedly, one that I think should be performed in a CMS app rather than by a detour through an install-it-yourself Linux guest, but, well, we're all aware of each others' views on that.

Adam