On Monday, 09/17/2007 at 04:01 EDT, Mark Bodenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> So what is there about DNS lookup that causes this memory use, while
otherwise
> the clients don't suck up virtual storage?

The issue is the DNS resolver.  We changed how Pascal applications resolve
domain names.  There is now only one version of it (located in LE) and it
is used whether you are running a Pascal program or C.  When it is called,
LE loads and the memory is consumed.  FTP, TELNET, and LPR are all Pascal
programs, so they don't encounter the extra memory usage until the
resolver is invoked. C programs require LE immediately and so see the
extra memory consumption even without calling the resolver.

"loopback" is short-cut in the "pre-resolver" code that bypasses the call
to the LE resolver.