Mike,

Thanks for the information. I work with Jim and am also trying to understand the differences in memory use of the z/VM 5.3 TCP/IP clients compared to the z/VM 4.4 ones.

The web page you reference talks about C sockets library changes, but says these were already present in z/VM 4.4. The difference we're seeing is between 4.4 and 5.3. So does this apply? I also wonder because we're seeing this with ftp and telnet, which aren't mentioned on your web page as using the C socket library. (Do they?)

I've done some more testing, and find that the 5MB or so additional memory use that we're seeing only happens when there is a DNS lookup involved. So if I do "ftp cornellc.cit.cornell.edu" I see the additional memory use, but if I do "ftp 132.236.98.12" I don't. Similarly "ftp loopback" doesn't cause the additional memory use. I see the same thing for lpr: lpr profile exec (p raw at cornellc.cit.cornell.edu causes the additional memory use, while lpr profile exec (p raw at 132.236.98.12 does not.

So what is there about DNS lookup that causes this memory use, while otherwise the clients don't suck up virtual storage?

Thanks,

Mark Bodenstein  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Cornell University