Jim,

There are several reasons for the increased use of virtual storage when
running
the TCP/IP functions and utilities. You can read about some of these at

      http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/donovanm/zvmle.html

and specifically look at

      http://www.vm.ibm.com/devpages/donovanm/zvmle.html#LEstor

The 5M "feechur" you mention is an unfortunate artifact of sockets being
defined
as POSIX file descriptors in the Byte File System client code.   "Fixing"
this
involves a significant rewrite of a BFS client storage management and will
most likely not happen any time soon.

Mike Donovan
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
- Steven Wright, comedian (1955- )

             Jim Bohnsack
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             du>                                                        To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  zVM 5.3 TCPIP memory problem

             09/14/2007 12:29
             PM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 ARK.EDU>

I remember back in zVM 5.1 or 5.2 days seeing on the list that there
were memory problems or memory size issues.  I probably didn't follow it
because I was using 4.4 and probably just thought it would be fixed.
Now I see that it wasn't fixed.  I've just been  told by IBM it's a
"feechur".  I'm seeing it with the TCPIP clients, FTP and LPR.  They
grab about 5M and don't release it.  I didn't see it in putting the
release together because whoever runs the MAINT id in installation with
a small machine size.

Does anyone have any ideas or a solution or is that just the way it is?
Jim

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University