Nope, but I sure wish it were so Barton. We need a performance monitor anyway,
and that would be just more fuel for the fire. :)
What blew us away was a very simple desire to backup around 4 to 6 million
files per night, store them on tape, and keep about 45 days of them on hand.
Yes, this is perhaps "primitive" compared to what TSM can do, but we figured
that was all the more to the better- it would be able to do it without any
trouble.
The sheer number of the files brought the machine here to it's knees - not
because of the I/O, but because of the database transactions and the really
huge size of the database after about of, three weeks. Tried it on bare metal
as well, eliminating z/VM and every thing other possible source of any kind of
overhead. Zang... BTW: That hugh size of te database was only a coupe hundred
gigabytes, but the IBM TSM people goggled in horror at it... That was worth the
trip to see! :)
The blades have not even a fraction of the I/O throughput of the mainframe, but
with four cores cranking on the database, we actually get four to five times
higher throughput. I'm thinking of tossing a second blade at it if I can get
'em t share the TS1120s.
Sometimes, no matter how clever or intelligent you are about using CPU
resources, you just near to pour enormous numbers of cycles at a problem. At
least, that is the TSM way... ;)
 -Paul

--- Begin Message ---
Paul, any chance you are having an easily fixable performance problem with TSM
backups
that a decent performance monitor will point out?

Paul Raulerson wrote:

> What are you running on Mark? And how much are you backing up. I really need
> some GOOD
examples of TSM working! :)
> I do have a large number of document images to back up each day, so what
> happens to us
is the database gets really large, well over a hungred gigabytes. At htat
point, it
cannot expire information before new backups are being added, and it *all* goes
downhill
from there. I blame the ancient version of DB/2 that is embededed it in, and
the Linux
kernel version that is required to run a TSM server on z/Linux on an IFL.
> -Paul

> Re: zSeries Linux - White Paper for Management
> From:
> "Mark Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date:
> Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:23:00 +0000
> To:
> IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>
> To:
> IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>

> Really? That hasn't been my experience at all. Runs like a rocketship here.
>
> Mark L. Wheeler
> IT Infrastructure, 3M Center B224-4N-20, St Paul MN 55144
> Tel:  (651) 733-4355, Fax:  (651) 736-7689
> mlwheeler at mmm.com
>
> “Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." Carl Sagan

--- End Message ---