It probably stands to reason I/O related activities are much better
suited, what kinds of applications can we "bunch" in to this, of course
Web Serving and Database Serving, how about other things, such as Printer
Serving??

Paul Raulerson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
09/27/2007 01:20 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: zSeries Linux - White Paper for Management

Hey Paul -
  I have the barebones of one, but nothing in shape to publish at this
time. A couple of notes though; Mainframe Linux has most of the same
issues as workstation linux, but benefits greatly from the vast I/O
resourcs of the mainframe. It works better under z/VM than on the bare
metal (LPAR or no LPAR).
It fails miserably only in one situation, and that is where whatever you
are running on it is very compute intensive. For example, Tivoli really
takes a couple of IFLSs to run all by iself, and is, IMNSHO, far better
situated on an xSeries blade or pSeries server.
Also, don't even think of running XWindows clients on it; much better to
write customer Client/Server products, or use a web interface, than to do
that.  In general, avoid processor intensive work, like image manipulation
or most scientific computing.
-Paul

----- Message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:13:00 +0000
-----
To:
IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject:
zSeries Linux - White Paper for Management

Has anyone written a "white paper" on the how's and why's of zSeries
Linux, and how it not only saves money but improves reliability and
security?  I need something to convince the management that having things
scattered all over you-know-who's half acre is not the optimum way to run
things.  It's very hard (and frustrating...) trying to deal with the
"mainframes are obsolete and outdated" mentality that exists.

Thank You
Paul Adrian.