From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
David Boyes
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:23 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Initial User Directory ( was: hacking vm/cms (probably old news))

> Isn't that a bit of an overkill for a starter system??

Not really. If you start with a fairly buttoned-up system, you know exactly
what holes you open because you do it deliberately (and it's completely your
fault if you screw it up). What Tom's described is a pretty tight system, and
it's not a bad default if you have few or no CMS users.

The question we're really answering in this discussion:

In this day and age, is there really any reason/excuse to ship a system in a
state that is known to be insecure?

I'd argue that the answer now is "no".

We used to say "start with a simple system, and make it secure". What this
discussion seems to be proposing is "let's start with a secure system, and open
things as necessary". Seems like a Good Thing (tm) to me.