> If you haven't already seen this, it's worth a look. It's a
> presentation by Charles Webb of IBM on the next IBM mainframe
> processor, the z6. (Don't ask me where "6" came from.) The
> thing that stood out for me was the 4GHz processor speed, but
> of course there's lots of other very good stuff as well.
> http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/IBM-z6-mainframe-microprocessor-Webb.pdf

Mark:

A few important things to note:

1) z6 is the name for the chip, not the name of the next
generation mainframe.

2) This is a presentation on the processor and SMB hub chips in
the next generation mainframe, not on the total package.

3) The cycle time is 4GHz+ and just as with MIPS, GHz is a
"meaningless indicator of processor speed".

4) This is an assumption on my part, but the z6 name be due to
some parts of the chip being derived from Power 6 (e.g. the DFU).

Jim