Much as it is derided Alan, CPU speed is an important consideration. Not the
only consideration of course,
but important all the same. 4Ghz on a the PowerPC-like PU core of a
mainframe is - impressive. Of course,
IBM has always been a little "retentive" about stuff like that, because they
always like to cap the processors
for sales reasons. (One of which is of course, a customer never complains if
it goes a little but faster than
advertised, but will scream bloody murder if it ever runs slower than the
maximum advertised speed. :)

Besides which- the competition here is small machines that have boatloads of
processor cycles; so much so it is not
a problem at all to run three, four, or even five to ten virtual machines on
them running a full PC OS. That also tells
you how inefficient and poorly written most PC'Oss are, because Windows, for
example, does not run noticeably faster
*even when it has the entire machine*. Amazing...

On the Mainframe side, that is also true, but with a twist. On the mainframe
it is because the OS's are very efficient
indeed, and very highly optimized to the underlying hardware (well, virtual
hardware in the case of z/Arch I suppose.)
That's a very big difference when you get down to the underlying core.

So sure - yack up the 4Ghz- sing out about it at the top of your voice! Be
sure to mention that  a mainframe can actually
USE all that processing power, especially running z/VM or z/OS. Something
that the competition just cannot do, period. :)

-Paul